Welcome to the SCCHGS Website
General Meetings and Free Seminars
Our evening general meetings are on the Third Tuesday of the month in the Margie Edinger Room at the Santa Clara City Public Library located at 2635 Homestead Road, Santa Clara, 95951. For directions please see the map.
Please help brighten up our general meetings by providing your suggestions for Speakers or Topics that you would like to see in the future. Please provide a brief description of the topic, the Speaker’s name, their e-mail address, mailing address or Telephone number (if known). Send suggestions to Program Chair.
General Meeting: “Saratoga: A Lumber Town”, presented by Ray Cosyn Tuesday, November 15, 7:15 - 8:30 pm in the Margie Edinger Room of the Central Park Library. The presentation is free and open to all. Light refreshments will be served 7:00 pm.
The presentation traces the history of Saratoga from the Ohlones to the present historic village, presented by Ray Cosyn. Today we view Saratoga as a well heeled suburb on the edge of Silicon Valley. Few know that at one time it was a lumber town with all that a town of its type had to offer. Big Basin Way was Lumber Street and it was lined with saloons and hotels that catered to the needs of the lumbermen who frequented the town on the weekend. Eventually the townspeople had enough and transformed the town into the home of a dozen churches which set a tone that further transformed the town into a modern day suburb. Historian Ray Cosyn covers the transformation by showing then and now pictures portraying how the town has changed over the past hundred years.
Presenter: Ray Cosyn is a spokesperson on the history of America. He holds a BA in Industrial Engineering from the University of Illinois and a Masters Degree in American History from San Jose State University. He is a retired Sales and Marketing executive having worked for IBM, Hitachi and a number of startup companies. He has spoken to numerous civic groups on a wide range of topics from the Civil War, to and including WWII. Mr. Cosyn is on the board of directors of the Saratoga History Foundation, the Saratoga Traffic Safety Commission and is a member of National Railroad Historical Society.
No General Meeting
Help SCCHGS Earn Money Through YOUR Shopping
- Earn for our Society as you shop at Luckys and Food Maxx
- Sign up at escrip.com/luckys
- Provide your name, email and phone number
- Select Santa Clara County Hist-Genea Society
- Or send this info to earn @ scchgs . com
- At the store checkout
- Before payment – Provide your registered phone number
- If you are a Save Smart or Lucky You rewards shopper, when you register your phone number (or 10-digit loyalty ID you use at checkout), or rewards card number (the number on the back of your Save Smart or Lucky You rewards card), we will automatically link your Rewards and eScript accounts. That way you won’t have to choose between shopping for rewards or contributing to eScrip. By linking these accounts, you can earn rewards for both!
Where are we located?
The society is located at the City of Santa Clara Central Park Library in the Heritage Pavilion.
We have a large collection of genealogy resources along with a great historical collection available for the public’s use.
There are volunteer consultants available to introduce patrons to the collection and assist them with their research problems. Check this calendar for consultant availability.